I still need to make at least one short-range, weak melee attack, and I realized I need a proper “battle-ready” idle animation.
As a break for relaxation, I did an experiment on antique-looking rifles. This is actually a Gras Carbine M1874. I only chose it because I happened to like the colors of it in my reference photo.
I have no idea how those moving parts move, and I’m pretty sure I made some of them wrong. I may not end up having realistic reload animations for this and I bet there will be antique gun enthusiasts who will condemn me for that.
So I asked how long I have for the presentation and I got this response:
One thing stood out to me:
Which I take it he means Powerpoint Presentations, but actually meant presentations in general. Quite interesting to have mentioned that only 2 days away from the presentation! I guess having presentation materials is moot.
So, I’m rushing the melee attacks for the presentation. I got an idle, run, and now an attack animation:
So what is that red thing he’s holding? As mentioned in the blog, the setting is a fantasy world with guns instead of swords.
That thing he’s holding is a placeholder for what will eventually be a 3d model of a Blunderbuss. As you can see, he’s also using it as a blunt instrument.
Slow week today. I was fixing a bug in the JSON serialization: it was trying to serialize a UnityEngine.Material!
Also I got out of sync because I had to stay in the office for the weekend. One of my subordinates really messed up, and with one day until his deadline, I had to intervene and redo parts of his code.
I also got sick, I think I drank too much soda the whole week.
Unfortunately I’m at a point where I find it hard to continue visualizing how to go about the code without some proper 3d models and animations, so I’ll be concentrating on animations first.
I just realized my 3d model is not in proper scale, and its not in the proper framerate I want it to be in. Its scaled too big for the game engine, and the Kamen Rider animation test I did was in 24 frames per second.
And when you resize an armature in Blender and apply the scale, the animation will be distorted, specifically the location of the IK bones. Actually, it turns out you just need to scale animations too, in the same amount that you scaled the armature.
The IK bones’ positions are not scaled to match when you apply the scale of an armature. So I had to go through each IK bone and scale the location F-curves, then move them to the proper location. Perhaps a Python script to automate that can be done.
As for the framerate, its only a matter of scaling the keyframes’ positions in the timeline.
So here’s a bland running animation as placeholder:
I think that really needs work.
The rigging tutorial I mentioned last time had a pretty good leg rig, so I used his technique. Only problem was once I added a pole target to the leg’s IK, the whole leg would twist too much.
To solve that, I did the same thing I did with the wrist. Each bone in the leg’s IK chain now has a duplicate, and each of the duplicates have a Track To constraint to the leg below it. The bottommost duplicate’s Track To points to the IK bone itself. Continue reading
The soldier’s rig is coming along nicely.
As a test of how flexible this rig is, here is a sample animation.
It helps if you listen to this while looking at it.